In most of the hospitals I’ve worked in, there is often a big chasm between clinicians on the ground and hospital administration in their ivory towers. Doctors and nurses see patients. Administration see numbers. My goal is to get the patient well. Their goal is to balance the books. We employed those with administrative skills so that we can be more efficient at doctoring and nursing. However, as it often happens, the managers become money managers and productivity directors. I have met many outstanding administrators whose visions and plans for the hospital are commendable. But I’ve also met many more who forget that their primary goal is patient outcome. This weekend, write an email or note to your non-clinical, hospital or practice managers. Thank them for their hard work and their efforts for the hospital or practice you’re at. Tell them how important is their work for the patients. Give them the right perspective on the purposes of the practice. Remind them, gently, that their primary goal is not profit, but patients.
WELL:COMEWriting is therapeutic, to me. The word is my personal hobby and my chosen medium of self-expression. As a husband, father and surgeon I am on a journey. These are my progress notes, and you are welcome to browse.
Top Posts & Pages
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Frequent Heartburn Increases Risk Of Throat Cancer By 78%
- Sleep Apnea Symptoms In Childhood Treated By Early Removal Of Adenoids And Tonsils
- Outcome In Head And Neck Cancer Predicted By Genetic Diversity Within Tumors
- Antibiotic Prescribing Of Acute Rhinosinusitis Vary In United States Ambulatory Settings
- No Need To Toss Your Toothbrush After A Sore Throat
- 'Bionic' Ear Has Potential To Restore Or Enhance Human Hearing
- In Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma, HPV Leaves Its Mark
- Patient Receives Innovative New Hearing Implant
- Oral Mucositis Treatment, Gelclair®, Launched In US
- In Patients With Head And Neck Cancers, New Radiotherapy Approach Reduces Symptoms Of Dry Mouth
- 58,000 hits